Tuesday 28 August 2007

The Great Barrier Reef.

We are now in Airlie Beach, which strangely doesn't really have a beach. We have been here for a few days now stuck on a computer trying to update this blog.


Sunset on Airlie Beach.

On Sunday we went to the Great Barrier Reef to a section called Knuckle Reef. Whilst on the way there we decided to do an introductory scuba dive - which wasn't originally planned. I sort of persuaded Kate to do it as she was a bit scared of being trapped underwater. Me, Kate and 2 Irish ladies we in a group together. Kate and one of the Irish ladies went with Stuart (the p*ss taking Scotsman), the most senior instructor because they were the most scared. I went with other trainee instructor. Kate reckons she took to it better than she though she would but the lady she was with struggled and they kept having to return to the surface. I also had a few problems with my ears as I couldn't get the pressure in them equalised (its the same as going up in plane). We ended going to a depth of a 4m, which is ok for a first dive. It was deep enough to get close up the coral and the colourful fishes including Wally a huge friendly Maori Wrasse. I had disposable waterproof camera, but all the pictures are crap because on most of them you can see my thumb (I was a bit busy remembering to breathe).

We also did a bit of snorkelling and we went on a semi-submersible boat which took us to a different section of the reef.


Kate with something big in her mouth!


Look, I 've got all my fingers.
Coral as taken from the semi-sub.

A fish taken from the semi-sub.

Me snorkelling.


The crap picture of the big Maori Wrasse

Kate snorkelling.

Someone put a cauliflower in the sea.

No comments: