Saturday 28 July 2007

The crazy woman has gone and done it!

With thanks to Jamie for the post title - I think he means it in a nice way.

Yes I did it. I jumped from 14000ft on a tandem skydive this morning. It's something I've always wanted to do and I'm sure that the gorgeous Sunshine Coast was the ideal place to do it. The view was absolutely amazing. I did the jump from the heighest I possibly could so that I could have the longest freefall. I had about a minute freefall. It's quite hard to explain the experience, but I'll give it a try... It didn't really feel like falling, except when you first leave the plane. Then it was absolutely freezing (-10 degrees!), I could feel my face being pummelled and the pressure was starting to hurt my ears (I still haven't totally recovered my hearing yet). But apart from that it was fab. When the guy released the parachute, I felt a jerk and it felt so serene just floating slowly down. And I actually landed on my feet on the beach (that has to be a first for me!).

To be honest, the most frightening part for me was when the plane was taxiing and as it was taking off, I was sat right by the door and it was still open! After that I tried to stay as far away from that door as I possibly could... until I had to jump obviously. By the time we got to 14000ft, somehow the view below didn't look real, more like a map - so that's how I got round the old vertigo!!

Me (looking a wee bit tense) with my tandem guy about to take the plunge.
The green splodge is me!
Touch down on the beach.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

So when is jam going to do a jump?????

Anonymous said...

Jam so when are you going to take the plunge?

Anonymous said...

well done Kate,impressive,David now wants to do it,cant imagine what your mother went though, bet she was relieved once you where safely on the ground.....viv

Anonymous said...

wow!! katie -i am impressed! utter respect :) jolio